1. What is the difference between a D-5 and an Invitational tournament?
District 5 tournaments give the players the opportunity to advance their play from the local D-5 tournament, to a Virginia state tournament, then to a regional tournament and moving on to a national tournament, should the team continue to win.
Invitational tournaments are local tournaments held at Richmond area D-5 sites and are played over the course of 7-10 days. Teams do not advance any further, should they win a local Invitational tournament.
2. Where are the D-5 Tournaments held?
D-5 Tournaments are hosted at one of the D-5 Little League sites within the greater Richmond area.
3. Is there an extra cost for playing D-5 All-Stars or an Invitational Team?
The player fee for All-Star Tournament team play is $60 per player. Additional costs may be incurred if a team advances past the D-5 Tournament. Invitational teams do not have any further expense after their All-Star fee is paid.
4. When is the D-5 Tournament and when can practices begin?
Teams will begin practicing around June 15th. District 5 Tournaments are usually held sometime between the last week of June and first 2 weeks of July. Exact dates are not known until the beginning of June each year. Teams normally practice 5 to 6 days a week for about 2 hours at a time.
5. How far can each D-5 All-Star team progress?
The 10 year old team can progress to a Regional tournament if they first win the District and then the State Tournament.
The 10-11 year old team can progress to a State tournament if they win the District tournament.
The 11-12 year old team, Juniors (13-14) and Seniors (15-16) can progress to the World Series for their age group if they win the District, State and Regional Tournaments. Typically the World Series tournaments take place during the middle to latter part of August.
6. How are the managers, coaches and players selected for the D-5 All-Star Teams and Invitational Teams?
Please refer to the Atlee LL Ground Rules under section 8 labeled Tournament teams posted on the website for the specific details on each age group.
7. What players are eligible to participate on D-5 All-Star Teams or Invitational Teams?
All league players of the appropriate age who have met eligibility requirements per the Little League rule-book will be eligible.
8. What are the participation expectations for the D-5 All-Star and Invitational teams?
NEW IN 2015: Tournament team players/coaches/managers must commit that they will miss no more than 3 scheduled practices and no games for the duration of the tournament unless ill or injured.
9. When are the Invitational Tournaments and Practices?
Teams begin practicing around 2nd week of July or after depending on the start date of the tournament. The invitational tournaments are usually held during the month of August. Exact dates are not known until the beginning of June each year. Teams normally practice 4 to 6 days a week for about 2 hours at a time.